Inlaid Poplar Burl Box #2550
Shipping calculated at checkout.
- Handmade in Atlin B.C by Stuart Simpson & Christine Kelly
- 9 1/2 l x 3 1/2 w x 3 h (in)
- Unique sculptured poplar burl box with felt bottom
- Inlaid with gold from local placer mining creeks as well as semi-precious stones, Malachite, Turquoise and Azurite
- Individually numbered
- Inlaying requires painstakingly fitting small peices of semi-precious stone and metals into the natural gaps in the cut burl. The finished design must then be sanded and waxed many times to create a look and feel that is seamless and natural looking.
- Burl is a large knobbly growth, common on poplar trees. Burl wood is desired by carvers because, although it is harder to carve, the finished peice has a more beautiful grain pattern as well as being stronger. This makes burl ideal for bowls and boxes.